The EU blue card

The EU blue card is a work permit allowing highly skilled non-EU citizens to work and live in any country within the European Union, with the exception of Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom.

The card was introduced in 2009 as a response to calls for the EU to attract and retain more highly skilled workers from outside the bloc, in order to compete with the United States and other developed economies.

To be eligible for a blue card, applicants must have a college degree or equivalent, and a job offer from an employer in an EU country with a salary above a certain threshold. The salary requirements vary from country to country, but are generally around 1.5 times the average salary in that country.

Once issued, a blue card is valid for four years, and can be renewed. Holders of a blue card are also entitled to bring their family members to live with them in the EU.

The blue card is seen as a path to citizenship in the EU, as after five years of continuous residence in an EU country, cardholders can apply for long-term residency, and after six years they can apply for citizenship.

The EU Blue Card is implemented in Dutch immigration legislation. However, The EU blue card and Highly skilled migrant scheme are 2 different things that should not be confused together.

The advantage that the EU Blue Card have over the highly skilled migrant visa is in the few EU mobility rights it grants that other national permits do not. The foreign national must make at least a gross monthly salary of €5,670 (excluding the 8% holiday allowance) per month in the Netherlands, which equates to a gross annual salary of €68,040. (excluding 8 percent holiday allowance).

Why choose the EU blue card over the Highly skilled migrant scheme?

The EU Blue Card or the Highly Skilled Migrant Scheme are the two options for skilled immigrants’ residence permits in the Netherlands (kennismigrantenregeling). There are significant distinctions, nevertheless, that should be noted.

The Blue Card includes a wage threshold and an educational threshold, while the requirements for the skilled migrant program (Dutch national policy) are based on pay and market conformity of the salary. The income criteria for the EU Blue Card are also more stringent.

For the EU Blue Card, however, the hiring organization is not required to first achieve “recognized sponsorship” status. The IND government filing costs for getting it are €5,670, which makes it difficult for entrepreneurs to obtain and potentially expensive for small businesses.

A highly skilled migrant residence permit is typically simpler to get than an EU Blue Card. If you anticipate working in several EU nations, the EU Blue Card’s worldwide benefits may also be worthwhile to consider.

All in all, If you are planning to work in the Netherlands only, then it would be more beneficial for you to get a highly skilled migrant residence permit. However, if you are planning to relocate and move often inside the EU due to you job or personal circumstances, it is recommended to get the EU blue card.